ZIKA - How to Protect Yourself
With Zika outbreaks happening in many countries and territories, the best way to protect yourself is to prevent mosquito bites.
Zika virus spreads from person to person primarily through the bite of an infected mosquito. Many people infected do not experience symptoms or have mild symptoms. The most common ones are fever, rash, joint pain, or red eyes. Other symptoms include muscle pain and headache.
How to Prevent Zika?
- Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants
- Use insect repellent
- Stay in places with air conditioning and proper screens to keep mosquitos outside
- Take steps to control mosquitos inside and outside your home
What to do if you have Zika?
At this time there is no specific medicine to treat Zika. Treat the symptoms by:
- Getting plenty of rest
- Drinking fluids to prevent dehydration
- Take medicine to reduce fever and pain
- If you are taking medicine for another medical condition, talk to your doctor before taking additional medication
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, http://www.cdc.gov/zika
This material is provided for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed professional. You should consult with an applicable licensed professional to determine what is right for you.